Men, I have decided after many years of up close and personal observation and study, are not the same as women. I've gone back and forth, but this time I'm really sure. We are completely different. And from these differences I have learned something. A secret of their species that for some reason women have not figured out. And I'm going to share it with you.
Mike and I have been married for 4 1/2 years. And I would say we are extremely compatible. You know, all the mushy stuff is there: still holding hands, finishing each others sentences, texting a million times per day...and while the kids have radically changed the more intimate aspects of our relationship at least we have some fabulous memories to get us through when things get busy :) But, I digress.
The point is this. We are super close. But there is this one thing that just kind of... Ladies, have you ever asked your man "what are you thinking" and they say "nothing"? I do that all the time. When we were dating and I would ask him, of course he always said something like "I'm thinking about you", or "I'm thinking about how hot you are", which is what I wanted to hear so that was the end of that. But I have this insatiable curiosity and I love to talk so I'm always asking Mike what he thinks. And while often it is me, or the kids, or sports (in no particular order), or fantasy football, or baseball...after 5 years I figure I'm really about to breakthrough into the mind of a man. Which would be earthshaking right? To really know what is going on in there.
But here is the thing. I don't think anything is going on, at least not all the time. Not that they aren't super intelligent. In fact, Mike is one of the most thoughtful, smart, intellectual people I have ever met. Nevertheless, sometimes he really isn't thinking about anything!
How can this be? That's like a freakin vacuum of the mind. I have simply never been able to understand that. When Mike, or any other guy ever said "nothing" I assumed it was a lie. Like a cover up to some really interesting, personal, secret thing. And since I love a good mystery of course I have always wanted to know what it is. IT'S ACTUALLY NOTHING!
At 4 in the morning, after a year and a half of sleep deprivation compounded by the sleeplessness that accompanies sick babies, I got it. I was rocking Emma and realized I was awake- and nothing was going through my mind. No to do list, no ideas, no internal dialogues (I really hope I'm not the only woman out there that has entire conversations, including hypothetical variables, that may or may not ever actually take place), no shopping list, dinner idea, pinterest search, or scheme of any sort. Girls, it was blissful!
Maybe men are natures exemplary meditators. Its like a vacation. Relaxation, mental nap time. I'm pretty sure we girls don't do this enough... or ever. But I think we should. We deserve it! In fact, I think we NEED it! How men figured this out and we didn't I will never know, despite the fact that I've been trying to...oh wait. THAT is exactly why. But just because it doesn't come naturally doesn't mean anything. My hair isn't natural, that never stopped me. Point is, we can do this. And I think we'd enjoy it! I think our husbands would enjoy it! So CHEERS!
PS- My friend commented and gave me this link and I had to share it! Definitely funny- and true!
http://www.youtube.com/watch? v=YIxVY9k7EC4&feature=related

The point is this. We are super close. But there is this one thing that just kind of... Ladies, have you ever asked your man "what are you thinking" and they say "nothing"? I do that all the time. When we were dating and I would ask him, of course he always said something like "I'm thinking about you", or "I'm thinking about how hot you are", which is what I wanted to hear so that was the end of that. But I have this insatiable curiosity and I love to talk so I'm always asking Mike what he thinks. And while often it is me, or the kids, or sports (in no particular order), or fantasy football, or baseball...after 5 years I figure I'm really about to breakthrough into the mind of a man. Which would be earthshaking right? To really know what is going on in there.
But here is the thing. I don't think anything is going on, at least not all the time. Not that they aren't super intelligent. In fact, Mike is one of the most thoughtful, smart, intellectual people I have ever met. Nevertheless, sometimes he really isn't thinking about anything!
How can this be? That's like a freakin vacuum of the mind. I have simply never been able to understand that. When Mike, or any other guy ever said "nothing" I assumed it was a lie. Like a cover up to some really interesting, personal, secret thing. And since I love a good mystery of course I have always wanted to know what it is. IT'S ACTUALLY NOTHING!
Maybe men are natures exemplary meditators. Its like a vacation. Relaxation, mental nap time. I'm pretty sure we girls don't do this enough... or ever. But I think we should. We deserve it! In fact, I think we NEED it! How men figured this out and we didn't I will never know, despite the fact that I've been trying to...oh wait. THAT is exactly why. But just because it doesn't come naturally doesn't mean anything. My hair isn't natural, that never stopped me. Point is, we can do this. And I think we'd enjoy it! I think our husbands would enjoy it! So CHEERS!
PS- My friend commented and gave me this link and I had to share it! Definitely funny- and true!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?
You're going to love this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIxVY9k7EC4&feature=related The whole thing is brilliant, but the Nothing Box starts around 4 minutes in.
ReplyDeleteI hope you are loving Georgia!!!