Have you ever seen those Allstate commercials? The ones with the mayhem guy? I think they are funny, and they always make me think maybe I do want to spend more on insurance. But the thought always passes. Usually by the next commercial. Well. We named our price on insurance. Yup. And after all the rain and storms this week this is the pic I got from Mike at work:
We are so glad that huge, heavy branch spared our hood. I don't even want to think about how crappy that could have been. So while we may be paying less for our insurance, I'm certain we have some divine angels that knocked that thing out of the way. I wish there was a way to thank them for that. We did get a dent on the top of our car. But I'm not tall enough to really see the top so mostly it just bothers Mike. I guess that's a blessing too. I'm feeling very blessed today :)
Emma. Our crazy, spunky, fearless little munchkin. Did you know she's walking?! Yeah, she sure is, and she loves it. She will be 11 months old tomorrow, I don't know how its gone by so fast. But anyway. She has been sick for days, almost a week. At first it was just a stomach bug (at least we thought) and by Sunday night we thought she was doing better. But Monday rolled around and she was worse. As if Mondays need any help being the worst. Nevertheless, she spiked a fever and was crazy hot (103+) all day. That night she (as well as Mike and I) barely slept. Its like she was in agony, and hot, and uncomfortable even when we were holding her. Tuesday was worse. She alternated between sobbing and crying to listless and limp. I don't even know which was worse. All day, even with Tylenol, her fever was 102.7 or higher. In the evening she got really bad, glassy eyes, couldn't hold up her head, wouldn't eat and the little she drank came right back up- you know the kind of stuff that scares moms to death. Being that we only brought one car to Georgia, and Mike is gone at work from 6:30am to at least 6:30pm (remember that Atlanta traffic I mentioned), I have never driven around and explored out here. I don't have a Dr, know where a hospital is... shoot. Oversight. I meant to have that all figured out by now. Like it would have mattered. What was I going to do without a car? And then I got that awful feeling. You know the one? The one that means something bad is going down? So the instant Mike got home we booked it to the nearest instacare we could find.
We have had insurance our whole marriage. And in 5 years we have used it (other than routine baby checks and delivery) almost never. And wouldn't you know it, our insurance cards are not here yet. Of course. And we actually needed them. Since we have no cards to show it cost $120 just to walk in the door. And while everyone was nice and the PA seemed very competent, she had rock red spiky hair and thorns in her ear. Imagine my confidence (and you should have seen Mike's face!) as we handed our hot, sobbing baby to a girl who looked like (to quote Mike) "a 17 year old punk rocker". To sum: they couldn't find the source of her infection and recommended we take her to the ER for IV fluids if the meds they gave her didn't work within a few hours. While they thought the cause was likely bacterial, they didn't know so all they could do was give her zofran (for the vomitting) and tylenol (for her fever). So of we went to Walgreens. And wouldn't you know it, her prescription was $230. Plus we needed tylenol. And I know this sounds so cheap, but we decided not to get it. Until 2am when we realized her earlier dose had worn off and we were desperate.
Blessed husband that he is, Mike went to get it. When the lady there rung him up she was surprised at the price as well. So she found two coupons for us and got out total down to $95. Isn't it funny how relative things are? Compared to 230 that seemed like such a deal! A dose of that every 4 hours and tylenol has brought down her fever, and she has kept liquids down all day. Its a miracle. And I don't mean that lightly. That silly girl means everything to us, and her health and happiness are priceless. (Sure, I know we were cheap at first, but we came through right?) I have no idea who was working at the Walgreen's pharmacy last night, and she didn't know us. She has no idea that we just moved 2000+ miles. Or that we are trying to buy a second car this week. Or that we have to pay 6 month rent upfront to get the lowest price. Or that we did that so we could put a down payment on a house this spring. She has no idea what infertility and adoption cost us, or the two babies we can't imagine our lives without. She couldn't have known that Mike was working 2 jobs and full time in school, and that even then things were tight. I'm pretty sure there was no way she could have known any of those things. I'm pretty sure she gets paid no matter how much she charges us. But despite the fact that she didn't know that, she gave us some breathing room in our account this week. Thank you stranger who did something kind at 2am. Thank you thank you thank you.

We are so glad that huge, heavy branch spared our hood. I don't even want to think about how crappy that could have been. So while we may be paying less for our insurance, I'm certain we have some divine angels that knocked that thing out of the way. I wish there was a way to thank them for that. We did get a dent on the top of our car. But I'm not tall enough to really see the top so mostly it just bothers Mike. I guess that's a blessing too. I'm feeling very blessed today :)
Emma. Our crazy, spunky, fearless little munchkin. Did you know she's walking?! Yeah, she sure is, and she loves it. She will be 11 months old tomorrow, I don't know how its gone by so fast. But anyway. She has been sick for days, almost a week. At first it was just a stomach bug (at least we thought) and by Sunday night we thought she was doing better. But Monday rolled around and she was worse. As if Mondays need any help being the worst. Nevertheless, she spiked a fever and was crazy hot (103+) all day. That night she (as well as Mike and I) barely slept. Its like she was in agony, and hot, and uncomfortable even when we were holding her. Tuesday was worse. She alternated between sobbing and crying to listless and limp. I don't even know which was worse. All day, even with Tylenol, her fever was 102.7 or higher. In the evening she got really bad, glassy eyes, couldn't hold up her head, wouldn't eat and the little she drank came right back up- you know the kind of stuff that scares moms to death. Being that we only brought one car to Georgia, and Mike is gone at work from 6:30am to at least 6:30pm (remember that Atlanta traffic I mentioned), I have never driven around and explored out here. I don't have a Dr, know where a hospital is... shoot. Oversight. I meant to have that all figured out by now. Like it would have mattered. What was I going to do without a car? And then I got that awful feeling. You know the one? The one that means something bad is going down? So the instant Mike got home we booked it to the nearest instacare we could find.
We have had insurance our whole marriage. And in 5 years we have used it (other than routine baby checks and delivery) almost never. And wouldn't you know it, our insurance cards are not here yet. Of course. And we actually needed them. Since we have no cards to show it cost $120 just to walk in the door. And while everyone was nice and the PA seemed very competent, she had rock red spiky hair and thorns in her ear. Imagine my confidence (and you should have seen Mike's face!) as we handed our hot, sobbing baby to a girl who looked like (to quote Mike) "a 17 year old punk rocker". To sum: they couldn't find the source of her infection and recommended we take her to the ER for IV fluids if the meds they gave her didn't work within a few hours. While they thought the cause was likely bacterial, they didn't know so all they could do was give her zofran (for the vomitting) and tylenol (for her fever). So of we went to Walgreens. And wouldn't you know it, her prescription was $230. Plus we needed tylenol. And I know this sounds so cheap, but we decided not to get it. Until 2am when we realized her earlier dose had worn off and we were desperate.
Blessed husband that he is, Mike went to get it. When the lady there rung him up she was surprised at the price as well. So she found two coupons for us and got out total down to $95. Isn't it funny how relative things are? Compared to 230 that seemed like such a deal! A dose of that every 4 hours and tylenol has brought down her fever, and she has kept liquids down all day. Its a miracle. And I don't mean that lightly. That silly girl means everything to us, and her health and happiness are priceless. (Sure, I know we were cheap at first, but we came through right?) I have no idea who was working at the Walgreen's pharmacy last night, and she didn't know us. She has no idea that we just moved 2000+ miles. Or that we are trying to buy a second car this week. Or that we have to pay 6 month rent upfront to get the lowest price. Or that we did that so we could put a down payment on a house this spring. She has no idea what infertility and adoption cost us, or the two babies we can't imagine our lives without. She couldn't have known that Mike was working 2 jobs and full time in school, and that even then things were tight. I'm pretty sure there was no way she could have known any of those things. I'm pretty sure she gets paid no matter how much she charges us. But despite the fact that she didn't know that, she gave us some breathing room in our account this week. Thank you stranger who did something kind at 2am. Thank you thank you thank you.
Ah!! What an awful experience. I took Madelyn to her 2 yr check up (three months late . . . ) and luckily our insurance covered it all. If not, we would have paid nearly $700 ($700!!!) JUST to have a check up. No shots, no anything. Just a 10 minute 'How's she doing?' check up. Outrageous.
ReplyDeleteAlso, did I give you my brother and SIL's number? I feel so bad - they could have pointed you to a hospital or doctor and helped you out! Let me know if you want it.