Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Outfit of the Day

Actually, this is about yesterday's outfit. Because I'm not dressed yet today. What!? It's almost NOON! Yes, embarrassing I know. But I'm too tired to work out before the kids get up, so we do it all together. And then I shower during nap time. So I won't be dressed for approximately one and a half hours. And by then I will be too busy to blog. So yesterday it is.

Oh, and I didn't take pictures. I think its better left to the imagination.

So on to what I wore yesterday:
I started out in mismatched workout clothes. Big baggy tee shirt, and Mike's old high school basketball shorts. You see, I had two goals. Day one of potty training, and squeeze in a workout. HAHA! Potty training two? At the same time? Wouldn't have been so bad if Emma wasn't also simultaneously throwing up, oh yeah, and she had the runs. By 9am, I am sweaty (though I still haven't worked out) and have drops of pee on my shorts from running the kids to the toilet whilst they leak onto the floor. Emma is back in her diaper by 11.

While kids napped, I worked out and showered, and assembled my second outfit of the day. On the bottom I have the dark wash skinny jeans my sister bought me for my birthday last year, that I have cut into shorts. I may regret that come winter, but one thing at a time. They are covered in flour, because I wore them on Saturday and made...I can't remember what I made. Something with flour in it, obviously. And on top I have a tee shirt that I bought at Old Navy recently. I actually really like it, and its clean. I didn't have time to do much with my hair because a sudden storm woke Beckett up early from his nap. I never bothered to put on any accessories either. Or shoes. But I do have light makeup on, and my toes are painted barbie pink (just like Emma's, it something we do every weekend together).

By the end of the day, I have smudges on my shoulders from where the kids have snuggled up and left the remains of snack time. We had peach yogurt, and chocolate graham crackers for snack. These colors are a lovely contrast to my white/green polka dot shirt. Oh, and I have more smudges on my pants now. Some are from cleaning out the vacuum (it was a mess), and some are from trying to take the kids out (after rain? what was I thinking!) and muddy feet brushing my shorts. But it kind of matches the smudges on my shirt, so its okay. Well, actually, they don't match at all. But its still okay.

Also, I had braided my bangs (which I am growing out for the one-millionth time because I keep forgetting that I have curls and cowlicks) but Beckett pulled a few strands loose. So now its kind of a giant bubble on the side of my head. With a few loose wisps. Kind of a wind blown, toddler style hair day.

This is how I look when Mike comes home after a very, very long day at work.

And do you know what he tells me?

"You are so beautiful, you look gorgeous. I really missed you today", and then he kisses me.

And that is when I knew, I must have worn exactly the right outfit. If I can get the hottest guy on earth to notice me after a day like yesterday....I must have done something right. After all, the point of dressing up (for me at least) is to feel good and attract attention. And the only guy whose opinion matters, was totally into me. Now THAT is a success! And THAT is why I decided to share my outfit of the day :)

One of my hero's is the late Majorie Pay Hinkley. She is just super inspirational, and I think she and her husband had the most awesome relationship. Anyway, one of my favorite quotes is by her, and it fits today perfectly:

“I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully, tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails.
I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp. I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbors children. I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden. I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder. I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived.” 
 
Amen.

In other news, potty training is on hold until there is a cessation of extra bodily fluids (B started in with the runs by the afternoon). Hopefully in a day or two. Or maybe in a few months. I have to think it through again. And I promise I am working on the Adoption Q&A. It takes a lot more mental/emotional energy and time than I normally devote to writing. But it is coming. Oh yes, and I just remembered, the thing I made on Saturday with flour was actually the pizza I made for dinner on Friday!

A Bientot!


No comments:

Post a Comment